Robertson Golf Club has a very rich history. Herewith some interesting facts about this proud golf club:
• Founding date – according to records at the Robertson Museum the first golf course was built around 1900 (nearby the current air field);
• In 1911 it was moved to the area where the Kallie de Wet Sporting Complex is situated today;
• 1959 a 9-hole course, designed by Ken Elkin, was constructed next to the Breë River and Silwerstrand Caravan Park;
• In 2004 the go-ahead was given for the building of the Silwerstrand Golf and River Estate and the new course was officially opened in May 2008
• Danie Obermeyer was the course architect and a feature of the course are a total number of 51 bunkers;
• A unique feature of the course - is the cart path on the 18th hole which crosses an old aqueduct that used to accommodate the irrigation water for the farms all the way down to Swellendam
• The greens (bent) are kept in great condition and with a challenging lay-out Robertson has been host to many top-tournaments, including the Boland Open and SA Women’s Mid-Amateur;
• Feature hole – the 7th par 3. Playing to an island green surrounded by water, players face a tough shot (and a tummy full of nerves!);
• The club has produced many top-amateurs including provincial players like Dirk Bothma, Andre Ficks , Michael Frost, Johan Steyn, Joe Buirski, Jacquin Hess en Coenie Swanepoel.
• The record of Andre Ficks in the Robertson Club Champs will be hard to beat – he has been crowned club champ 14 times – and is still going strong!
• Sarie van Deventer is the stand-out women golfer of the Robertson Club – having won the ladies club champs 17 times!
COMMITTEE AND STAFF OF ROBERTSON GOLF CLUB:
Committee: Willem Nel – President, Johan Muller – Captain, Jacques Geldenhuys Vice-Captain; Jaco Swart Treasurer, Danie Cloete – Secretary, Dolf van Molendorf – Match Secretary, Additional members: Petrie Marais, Dawie van Rensburg. Lizette van Zyl – Women’s Captain.
General manager: Ludwig Vercuiel (since September 2010).
Course manager: Diaan Louw
Mechanic – Rudi Uys
Financial Manager – Jovan Jordaan
F&B Manager – Nico Drace
Pro Shop Manager – Letitia Rossouw
“We have a staff total of 28. They are hard-working and loyal and our “staff turnover” over the last 10 years were minimal, said Vercuiel.